FAQs - File Server Audit
File servers act as storehouse of critical business data. Lack of proper auditing of this important data may lead to a number of issues: Unauthorized access to File server data, Intentional and deceitful changes in permissions, disastrous changes to Files, Folders, Shares and Permissions, security breach and compliance violations. LepideAuditor for File Server (LAFS) is powerful File server auditing and reporting software that can save you from such unwarranted issues.
LAFS offers a number of highly desirable facilities such as centralized audit data archiving, real time alert generation, comprehensive reporting and report scheduling and requirement centric auditing to meet the requirements of File server administrators for creating a secure File server environment. This tool also facilitates successful compliance adherence with the help of different canned reports that it offers.
- LAFS allows you to configure audit rules and policies to meet specific audit requirements and avoid unnecessary audit data pile up that is inefficient to handle and expensive to manage.
- Software interface and functioning is incredibly simple that allows even non-technical or less skilled designated users to handle auditing and reporting requirement of File servers.
- LAFS is the most economical program available, when it comes to the extraordinary features if offers in comparison to the similar programs available.
Basic System Requirements:
- Pentium Class Processor
- 2 GB RAM
- 200 MB of free disk space for software installation
Supported Windows Server:
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows 2000 Server
You can purchase the Enterprise edition directly from our website. For any other sales related query, you may contact our sales team anytime at sales @lepide.com.
- The application installs agents on file servers that should be audited.
- Agents fetch data (in the form of small data packets) from the file servers to the system where the application is installed. And from there the data is sent to SQL Server database which stores audit logs. For reporting and other purposes, data is again fetched from the SQL Server database to the application.
- However, before entering the data into the SQL Server database, it checks against audit rules if the data is required?
- Each data packet is checked against the audit rules one by one. As and when it satisfies any rule it enters the database.
- If a data packet is not required by any audit rule, it is rejected and is not written in the database.
Yes. LepideAuditor for File Server can audit multiple file servers and NetApp filers from a single console and there is no need to install software on different machines for every file server.
Yes. Application will scan the entire network and show all domains present in it. From there you can select any domain and any file server/user within it.
LepideAuditor for File Server successfully audits and report events from NetApp filer with Data ONTAP™ 7.2 or later. The recommended version for complete feature availability is ONTAP 7.3.4 or later. The application supports 7-mode and cluster mode.
LepideAuditor for File Server uses the CIFS Auditing mode. It uses File policy or FPolicy to capture events and audit changes within the File Server. FPolicy is an event-notification framework within Data ONTAP which enables partner applications to connect to a NetApp storage system to monitor or control file access.
No. Auditing for a file server starts only after creating Audit Rules for it.
These are different setting sin the Setting console of LAFS.
- Audit Rules: You need to create at least one Audit Rule to start monitoring a newly added File Server. Audit Rule is a combination of Audit Policy (holds information for the objects which are to be audited), users/user group who are to be audited, alert query type, alert format and recipient information.
- Audit Policies: It consists of Directories, Files and Folders events, File Masks, Processes, and Monitoring Time. Based on these you can audit a file server as per specific requirements.
- User Group: You can create a group of users from same or different domains and apply a common audit policy to it.
- Message Settings: Message settings allow you to send notifications for file server events via three different mediums: Emails, Network Messages, and SMSs.
- Alert Queries: By creating alert queries you can send instant notifications on desired events to specific recipient via any of the three means i.e. E-mail, SMS, and Network Notification which are available in Message Settings.
- Backup and Restore: This lets you export file server audit settings to computer drive and later import them when required.
Application comes with two consoles – Setting console and Report console. After you create audit rules, reports can be viewed in Report console.
You can use an existing database or create a new database to store audit logs.
Yes. You can create custom reports in the Report Console. It has following filters: Time Span, File Mask, File Server, Process, User, Event, and Directory. You can create a custom reports using these filters.
No. LAFS ensures that no audit data is lost even if application or SQL Server database system got hanged/interrupted due to any reason. All audit data is collected as per audit rules and is stored in the database when the systems become available.
LAFS captures all audit data even when systems are not available for any reason. In rare circumstances, when audit data is not captured due to user-issues like not entering correct credentials, users are notified with a message strip on the top of the application screen.
Purchase license as per requirement. If for any reason, you don’t want to audit that file server further, stop auditing and uninstall agent. Options for doing that are available in the right-click context menu.
To purchase the license:
- Right-click on the LepideAuditor for File Server in the left pane and select Generate License code from the popup.
- List of all File Servers added to software will appear. Select servers for which you want to generate license.
- Following message appears stating that‚ 'Lepide File Auditor.out' file has been generated on the desktop. Click on OK to close the window.
- Email this file to Lepide Software at email@example.com. After you have purchased the
- license, Lepide Software will send you the license activation file.
- Launch LepideAuditor for File Server. Go to Help -> Activate License…
- Browse the license activation file from where it is located.
- Complete license details will be displayed under License Details section. Click on the Activate button.
- 'Activation Completed Successfully' message appears. Application will ask for your permission if you want to update agent. Click on 'Yes' to update the agent.
- The 'Update Agent' window opens up. All the File Servers will be selected by default. Click on the Next button.
- After the Update Status becomes 'Successful', click on the Finish button. Thus, you can successfully activate the license for LepideAuditor for File Server
At the time of removing a file server, wizard to uninstall agent from it appears. Follow the wizard to uninstall agent. After that auditing is stopped and agent is removed.
Yes. NetApp filer agent can be moved to another system in the network with zero downtime.