2018 Q2 Data BreachesStatistics Suggest Struggles in
the Healthcare Sector
Data Breaches in Q2 Increased by 29%
- 110 data breaches disclosed in Q1
- 142 data breaches disclosed in Q2
Breached Patient Records Almost Tripled in From Q1 to Q2
- 1.29M patient records were breached in Q1
- 3.14M patient records were breached in Q2
Repeat Offenses to Breach Patients Records Increased By 9%
- 21% Repeat Offenses in Q1
- 29.71% Repeat Offenses in Q2
- Insiders were responsible for 37.28% of the total number of breaches in Q1
- Insiders were responsible for 30.99% of the total number of breaches in Q2
- Family member snooping is the most common insider-related threat
- One investigator monitors an average of nearly 4000 employees
Lack of Routine Training and Education
- 78% of staff lacked proper data privacy and security awareness
Business Associate/Third-Party Involvement
- In Q1 there were a total of 20 disclosed incidents that involved business associates (BAs) or third-party vendors (18% of total incidents).
- In Q2 there were a total of 26 disclosed incidents that involved business associates (BAs) or third-party vendors(18.3% of total incidents).
Source - Protenus.com
If your organization needs help dealing with data breaches, contact Lepide today. For more information on how LepideAuditor helps organizations in the healthcare sector become more secure, click here .
Lepide® is a registered trademark of Lepide Software Private Limited. © Copyright 2018 Lepide Software Private Limited. All trademarks acknowledged.